When you are looking for a quality anti-aging serum, you need to know which ingredients can truly help fight wrinkles and rejuvenate your skin. The following ingredients are found in the most potent anti-aging products on the market today.
1. Retinol – Retinol is a powerful vitamin-A derivative that boosts the skin’s ability to repair collagen and elastin at the cellular level. By increasing cell turnover, retinol helps blood-vessel formation which increases circulation. Overall, retinol creates brighter and more youthful skin as it fights dullness, sun spots, wrinkles and fine lines. Be aware that retinol can cause some skin irritation, especially when it is exposed to direct sunlight. After thoroughly washing your skin, apply any creams or serums with retinol at night for best results.
2. Hydroquinone – Perfect for helping to even out any blotches or sun spots, hydroquinone is a highly effective ingredient for bleaching skin. This ingredient helps fade extra pigmentation by blocking the enzyme that increases the production of melanin. The best way to use any product with hydroquinone is to apply it directly to any dark spots on your skin. Of course, make sure to use sunscreen when you are outside in the sunlight so you don’t reverse the positive effects of this ingredient.
3. Antioxidants – There are several powerful antioxidants available in the best skin care serums. Look for specific ingredients such as vitamin C, pomegranate, green tea or idebenone to help protect your skin from the harmful effects of the environment. Antioxidants help your skin by fighting free radicals in the air and turning them into harmless elements. In addition, antioxidants are known to boost cellular repair, increase collagen production and reduce blotches. With antioxidants, look for a serum rather than a cream-based product for the best results.
4. Alpha Hydroxy Acids – Glycolic acid and other alpha hydroxy acids provide radiance to your skin as well as smooth out fine lines. These potent ingredients also work well with other skin care products by penetrating the skin and allowing the other ingredients to work more efficiently. Because alpha hydroxy acids are very powerful, dermatologists often recommend that you give your skin recovery time between applications. Experts agree that using products with these ingredients only twice a week is more than enough to receive the benefits of alpha hydroxy acids without overdoing it.
5. Peptides – One of the newest anti-aging ingredients in skin care products are peptides. Peptides provide important building blocks of proteins with their short chains of amino acids. Now found in many revolutionary skin care products, peptides create healthier and firmer skin by helping your skin produce collagen.
If you are serious about the fight against wrinkles, dullness and dark spots on your skin, take a closer look at the ingredients listed on your anti-aging serum. Not only will the best and most potent ingredients create a more youthful appearance, they can also improve your skin’s health for years to come.